Seven Degrees of Illumination
An overview of the Seven Degrees of Illumination, by Joseph and Carol Bennette.
- My underlying belief is that I am separate from my environment and that I must compete and win against others in order to survive. This stage pits “me” against “you”, “us” against “them.” I am motivated by my perception of benefit vs threat. Duality.
- Based on benefit or threat, I install defenses against perceived threats and seek out that which I perceive benefits me. I use excuses and justifications as validation of my rightness and strengthen my position through agreement with as many others as I can convince. Motivated by my fear of the consequences of being wrong, I keep an arsenal of failsafe safeguards in place, just in case!
- When others completely blow my image of them, I cannot return them to their previous position. I’m at a Choice Point! It may hurt as I come face-to-face with invalidation of my vision of the world in this context. My image of myself may take a serious hit at this point. To move forward, I must accept death of my image as a viable (and maybe painful) option. I must pass through the death of my need to be validated – leaving my fear of being wrong behind.
- I recognize the competition and see it for the fantasy it is. I feel a need to balance the scales of justice I upset. I accept the cause and effect relationship my thoughts and actions have on what I perceive. I recognize the difference between honest interaction with my environment and the con game I was playing. As my mind begins to connect in balance with my heart, I close the gap of misunderstanding where I invented an ego to fill that perceived need.
- I intend to be aware of others as my mirror. I get it that my environment is me in disguise. I no longer feel the need to defend against myself. I begin to realize that everything I perceive is symbolic. It is not real. Everything has meaning to ME about ME. It is feedback. I have released my needs. My life sustains itself without effort. I am aware of how I manifest my intent. I experience intimacy with others around me in a new and profound way – as I become them and me – oneness – love.
- I appreciate others as a projection from within me – I accept and feel gratitude for the reflection life is to me. I gratefully accept myself and release the illusion I previously held that I could be separate from others. The real Self begins to appear as “others,” “ME,” and “I” come together in a realization of what is beyond perception – oneness.
- Awakened, I now consciously realize the full nature of my own creation. All illusion is stripped away – only truth remains. I pass through a gateway to what lies beyond – that beckons me to arise and…